How it all began.
Members First Credit Union was first established as the Manchester Municipal Employees Credit Union by firefighter John Walsh in 1949. John operated the credit union himself from his briefcase at the Somerville Street Fire Station in Manchester. In 1950, John's idea of helping local firefighters with their finances grew and the credit union officially moved into Manchester's City Hall on Elm Street.
After 31 years of continuous growth and popularity, the need for a more spacious facility became apparent. So in 1981, the credit union moved out of City Hall to 44 Bridge Street in Manchester. A second Manchester office was opened at 200 Union Street in 1994 to serve the growing municipal employee workforce.
When the credit union opened up its charter in 1997 to allow anyone living or working within 25 miles of a branch to join, it changed its name to Members First Credit Union. With its expansion to Bedford and surrounding communities in 2016, the credit union continued to broaden its membership base. In 2019, Members First further expanded its charter to serve anyone living, working or attending school in New Hampshire.
From John Walsh's briefcase at the Somerville Street Fire Station in Manchester back in 1949, to an expansive field of membership that serves the state of New Hampshire today, Members First is dedicated to serving both its members and the community to improve the quality of life for all.